Monday, August 13, 2012

Sweet Cake Cornbread

Cornbread is a very personal thing here in the South. Generally you will find that us folks South of the Mason-Dixon like our cornbread crispy on the outside; buttery and salty on the inside. My number one comfort food is a bowl of slow-cooked pintos with a slice of salty cornbread soaked in with beans. My mama and I ate this more times than I can count, and she ate it when she was a little girl with her mama, and so on and so on. In my brood we dont have any antique hand-me downs, or a lot of black and white pictures of days gone by; but we do have a few recipes that keep us connected to our family past, present and future. I know it sounds silly but when I sit down and eat pintos, cornbread and fried potatoes, all is right in the world.

When I first introduced this meal to Casey he was flabbergasted. "Where is the meat!" he demanded. I said "Well its kind of a traditional meal, Southerns were often going through hard times and didn't have a whole lot to eat. The beans have protein so they are the "meat" or the main course. "Yeah ok, but can we have some meat?" He just didn't get it! I am glad to say 7 years later, he gets it and actually enjoys our penny-less pintos. One thing he hasn't caught on to is our salty cornbread, he a sweet cornbread (corncake) man through and through,

We have gone back and forth on this, and I have asked his mother about it. They are Cajun, but still Southern, what gives with putting sugar in your cornbread. Even though this goes against everthing I believe in, I made this cornbread for him after I found it on The Sister's Dish. They said it tasted like Boston Market cornbread, and I knew Casey would love it, so it had to be done.

I have to admit I could not stop eating it. You have been warned. Continue Reading...



I was very hesitant at first because I am pretty anti box mix these days. 
Sometimes you just have to give in to simple and delicious.


Warm sweet corncake with a pat of butter melting over it, you can't beat that with stick!

Sweet Cornbread

1 box of Jiffy Cornbread Mix
This mix calls for:
1 egg
1/3 c. Milk
1 box for Jiffy Yellow Cake Mix
This mix calls for:
1 egg
1/2 c. Water

Combine dry mixes in a large mixing bowl, whisk until blended. Add the remaining ingredients, and bake for 350 degrees for 30 minutes. I like to bake it in an 8x8 glass brownie pan. This recipe is an extremely versatile no brainer so make it in whatever dish you feel comfortable with.


No comments:

Post a Comment